4 Kinds of Coverage You Need for Your Florida Home

4 Kinds of Coverage You Need for Your Florida Home

4 Kinds of Coverage You Need for Your Florida Home

Florida's a fantastic state to live in when the weather is good. Unfortunately, as we locals know better than most, Florida is also highly vulnerable to tropical storms. It's nearly a guarantee that every resident will experience multiple storm systems while living there. The high likelihood of storm damage, in addition to the other usual sources of perils, makes it very important to insure your home. Here are four kinds of coverage that you need to protect your home and finances.

1. Comprehensive Flood Insurance

Many homeowners don't need to think about having comprehensive flood insurance. However, that's not exactly an option for homeowners here in Florida. According to Forbes, 2% of homeowners file insurance claims due to water damage, but that includes internal flooding, which homeowners policies generally cover. When the water flows into the home, it could damage your foundation and your possessions while creating an environment for mold or mildew.

2. Wind, Hail, and Hurricane Coverage

Tropical storms and tornadoes commonly occur in Florida. Even if a hurricane doesn't occur, high winds might cause a damaging hailstorm or flying debris to damage your home. Damage could come in the form of an uprooted small tree, a patio chair, or a trash can left outside. Wind, hail, and hurricane coverage, also called windstorm insurance, can help to fix any damage caused by windstorms, hailstorms, and flying debris. Given the high number of tropical storms that affect Florida, windstorm coverage is a wise investment.

3. Personal Property Protection

Protecting your home is one thing. Protecting your belongings is something completely different that requires additional insurance protection. Most homeowners policies offer a nominal amount of protection for furnishings and personal belongings, but the amount often is much less than the collective value of your family's belongings. High-value items, like artwork, antiques, or gold and silver jewelry, require additional coverage to pay for the actual financial loss that you might experience by a covered peril.

4. Protection for Other Structures

Many homes have additional structures that require additional insurance protection. Sheds, gazebos, and even detached garages often lack coverage in a traditional homeowners insurance policy. You can buy additional insurance coverage for other structures, which you can document with photographs and property assessments to help protect you against the cost of replacing additional structures that often suffer storm damage.

As a local, family-owned business, we know all about the stresses that come with homeownership. Here at Evolve Insurance Agency, we're a homeowners insurance company that serves the community with a personal touch. Please contact us today to learn more about the types of coverage you could apply for. We hope to hear from you soon!